The recommended dose of Ampyra for improving walking speed in people with multiple sclerosis (MS) is 10 mg twice daily. Any dose higher than that does not appear to improve effectiveness, but does increase the risk of side effects. This medication comes in the form of an extended-release tablet and can be taken with or without food.
An Introduction to Dosing With AmpyraThere is only one standard dose for Ampyra™ (dalfampridine), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
What Is the Ampyra Dosage for Multiple Sclerosis?The standard Ampyra dosage for improving walking speed in people with multiple sclerosis (MS) is 10 mg twice daily. Studies have shown that dosages higher than 10 mg twice daily do not improve effectiveness, but do increase the risk of side effects.
General Information on Taking AmpyraSome considerations for people taking Ampyra include the following:
- This medication comes in extended-release tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth twice a day.
- This medication can be taken with or without food. Try taking it with food if it seems to bother your stomach.
- Do not crush, chew, or break the tablets; make sure to swallow them whole.
- Try to take your doses about 12 hours apart to keep an even level of the medication in your bloodstream.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Ampyra dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.