Since each Avonex vial or prefilled syringe contains a single dose of Avonex, overdose is not likely to occur. It is not known exactly what to expect from an overdose, but the usual side effects of the medication may occur. Treatment for an Avonex overdose will most likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Avonex® (interferon beta-1a) is a prescription medication used for treating multiple sclerosis (also known as MS). It is normally taken by injection. Avonex overdose effects will vary depending on a number of factors, including the Avonex dosage and whether it was taken by injection or by mouth.
If you happen to overdose on Avonex, seek medical attention immediately.
Avonex overdose is unlikely because each Avonex vial or prefilled syringe contains only enough Avonex for one dose. It is not known exactly what to expect from an Avonex overdose, other than the usual Avonex side effects. In studies, the highest Avonex dosage used was 60 mcg once a week (twice the recommended dose). The maximum safe Avonex dose has not been determined.
If an Avonex overdose is taken by mouth, it would be unlikely to cause serious problems. Avonex is a delicate molecule that must be injected because it would be destroyed by the digestive system if taken by mouth.
It is not known how best to treat an Avonex overdose. Therefore, treatment (if necessary) will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on Avonex.