Baclofen (Lioresal, Gablofen) tablets are no longer available in brand-name form; only generic baclofen tablets are available. For the intrathecal injection formula of baclofen, both brand-name and generic versions are available.
Is a Generic Version of Baclofen Available?
Baclofen (Lioresal®, Gablofen®) is a prescription medication approved to treat spasticity due to various causes, such as multiple sclerosis (MS) or spinal cord injury. Baclofen was originally sold under the brand name Lioresal. However, these brand-name tablets are no longer available, and the tablets are now only available in generic form. Lioresal intrathecal injection is still available in brand-name form as well as generic form.
Strengths of Generic BaclofenGeneric baclofen tablets are available in the following strengths:
- Baclofen 10 mg
- Baclofen 20 mg
- Gablofen intrathecal injection 50 mcg per mL prefilled syringes
- Gablofen intrathecal injection 500 mcg per mL in 20-mL vials (a total of 10,000 mcg or 10 mg per vial)
- Gablofen intrathecal injection 2,000 mcg per mL in 20-mL vials (a total of 40,000 mcg or 40 mg per vial).
Even though it is sold under a brand-like name, Gablofen is officially considered a generic version of Lioresal intrathecal injection. Gablofen injection is made by Cangene bioPharma, Inc., for CNS Therapeutics, Inc.
Generic versions of Kemstro® (an orally disintegrating version of baclofen that is not yet available in the United States) are not available.
- Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories
- Lannett Company, Inc.
- Qualitest Pharmaceuticals.