Multiple Sclerosis Home > Gilenya Side Effects
Possible reactions to Gilenya include headaches, diarrhea, and back pain. In most cases, people can take this medication without any problems. However, contact your healthcare provider if you develop serious side effects while taking Gilenya, such as fainting, a fever, or difficulty breathing. Even if the reaction is unrelated to the medication, your healthcare provider can help diagnose and treat the problem.
An Introduction to Gilenya Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Gilenya™ (fingolimod) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with this medication. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of GilenyaGilenya has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received the real medication, while another group was given a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Gilenya included:
- A headache -- in up to 25 percent of people
- Increased liver enzymes (seen on a blood test) -- up to 14 percent
- The flu -- up to 13 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 12 percent
- Back pain -- up to 12 percent
- Coughing -- up to 10 percent.
Other common side effects (occurring in 3 to 9 percent of people) included:
- Herpes infections, such as a cold sore or genital herpes
- A sinus infection
- Fungal infections, such as athlete's foot, jock itch, or ringworm
- "Stomach flu" (gastroenteritis)
- A slow heart rate
- Unusual sensations, such as burning, tingling, or pricking
- General weakness
- Hair loss
- Weight loss
- Increased triglycerides
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Eye pain
- High blood pressure (hypertension).