A Rebif (interferon beta-1a) overdose seems unlikely because each prefilled syringe contains only enough medicine for one dose. If the drug is accidentally taken by mouth, it is also not likely to cause problems because Rebif is a delicate molecule that would be destroyed by the digestive system. Treatment, if necessary, will involve supportive care. Seek medical attention immediately if Rebif overdose occurs.
Rebif® (interferon beta-1a) is a prescription medication used for treating multiple sclerosis (also known as MS). It is normally taken by subcutaneous injection (an injection just under the skin). The effects of a Rebif overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Rebif dosage and whether it was taken by injection or by mouth.
If you happen to overdose on Rebif, seek immediate medical attention.
A Rebif overdose is unlikely because each prefilled syringe contains only enough medication for one dose. Thus, it is not known exactly what to expect from an overdose, other than the usual Rebif side effects. The maximum safe Rebif dose has not been determined.
If an overdose is taken by mouth, it is also not likely to cause serious problems, although this is not known for certain. Rebif is a delicate molecule that must be injected because it would be destroyed by the digestive system if taken by mouth.
It is not known how best to treat a Rebif overdose. Therefore, treatment (if necessary) will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on Rebif.