Tizanidine 2 mg Capsules
Tizanidine hydrochloride (Zanaflex®) is a short-acting medication that is taken as needed for treating spasticity. The brand-name version comes in the following strengths and forms:
- 2 mg tizanidine capsules
- 4 mg tizanidine capsules and tablets
- 6 mg tizanidine capsules.
Brand-name 2-mg tablets were once available, but they are no longer being made (they are still available in generic form). Typically, the starting dosage is 4 mg every six to eight hours as needed, up to a maximum of three doses daily. Your healthcare may increase this amount if necessary.
Your healthcare provider will consider several factors when determining the right dosage for you, including:
- How you respond to this medication
- Other medications you take
- Any other medical conditions you may have
- The severity of your condition.
(Click Tizanidine Dosage for more information on when and how to take this medication. This article also explains why tizanidine is not technically approved for use in children.)