Tizanidine is a short-acting drug that is taken only as needed. Each dose of tizanidine only lasts between three and six hours, with a peak in effectiveness happening about one or two hours after taking it. The recommended starting dosage is 4 mg every six to eight hours as needed, up to three times daily.
An Introduction to Dosing With TizanidineThe dose of tizanidine hydrochloride (Zanaflex®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to this medication
- The severity of your condition
- Other medications you take
- Any other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Tizanidine Dosage for SpasticityThe usual starting dosage for treating spasticity is 4 mg every six to eight hours as needed, up to a maximum of three doses per 24 hours. Your healthcare provider may gradually increase this amount as needed.
It should be noted that tizanidine capsules and tizanidine tablets are not interchangeable -- even in the same strengths -- since the body handles them slightly differently. Do not switch from one to the other without your healthcare provider's approval and supervision.
General Information on Taking Your DoseSome considerations to keep in mind when taking tizanidine include the following:
- Tizanidine comes in tablet and capsule forms. It is usually taken as needed, up to three times daily.
- The effects of this medication peak about one to two hours after taking it, and it usually stops working within three to six hours. Keep this in mind when timing your dosages.
- Taking the capsules with food decreases the peak level of medication in the bloodstream, but the opposite is true with the tablets (food increases the peak level of medication). It is important to take tizanidine consistently in the same way -- either with or without food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking it suddenly, especially if you have been taking it for quite a while.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or tizanidine dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.