As with most medicines, it is possible to overdose on tizanidine (Zanaflex). Some of the possible symptoms of an overdose include low blood pressure, lethargy, confusion, and irregular breathing. Taking too much tizanidine can be dangerous, possibly even resulting in death. Seek immediate medical attention if you think you may have taken an overdose.
Can You Take Too Much Tizanidine?Tizanidine hydrochloride (Zanaflex®) is a prescription medication used to treat spasticity. It belongs to a class of medications known as alpha-2 adrenergic agonists. An overdose could potentially be dangerous -- there have reports of deaths due to tizanidine overdoses. The specific effects will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the tizanidine dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Please seek immediate medical attention if you think you or someone else may have taken too much tizanidine.
Effects of an Overdose With TizanidineSome of the possible symptoms of a tizanidine overdose include:
- Low blood pressure
- A slow heart rate
- Irregular, slow, or shallow breathing.
What Are the Treatment Options?The treatment for a tizanidine overdose will vary, as there is no specific antidote. Usually, treatment involves taking care of any overdose symptoms that arise and carefully monitoring for any possible problems. This type of treatment is known as supportive care. In particular, the heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing should be monitored closely.
Again, it is important that you seek medical attention right away if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on tizanidine.